Sam Ballard Wikipedia – Sam Ballard Wiki
Sam Ballard was an Australian rugby player who was paralysed after he swallowed a slug at a party as dare in 2010.
Sam Ballard was 19 years old in 2010 when he swallowed the slug, which was carrying the roundworm parasite Angiostrongylus cantonensis, commonly known as the rat lungworm.
As adults, these parasites typically infect rats, but during the earlier stages of their life cycle, they may be carried by slugs and snails that eat rat feces — and they can infect people who consume infected snails or slugs that are undercooked.
In Ballard’s case, the parasite caused a serious brain infection. He fell into a coma for 420 days and was paralyzed from the neck down when he was released from the hospital three years later.
Sam Ballard Age
He died on 2 November 2018 at the age of 28.
Sam Ballard Death
Sam Ballard died on 2 November 2018 surrounded by his family and loyal, loving mates.
Sam Ballard Cause of Death
Sam swallowed a slug at a party in Sydney in 2010 as a dare by friends. He was taken to hospital after spells of dizziness and vomiting. He was found to have been infected with rat lungworm, a parasite normally found in rats but also sometimes in snails and slugs.
He then contracted eosinophilic meningoencephalitis, a form of meningitis, and lapsed into a coma for 420 days before doctors revived him.
When he woke he was diagnosed with a serious brain injury. Further complications from the original infection left him paralysed. Ballard died on 2 November 2018.
Sam Ballard Mother
Sam Ballard’s mother, Katie Ballard, has said that she does not blame her son’s friends for what happened, and said they were just “being mates”. Ballard died on Friday at the age of 28, shortly after telling his mother: “I love you”.
Sam Ballard Instagram